The Kindergarten reading program features the diverse and dynamic Superkids. Each Supkerkid has a unique personality and provides a character lesson along with interactive and online components that attract and encourage the children to read. The children are placed in small groups to ensure individual support of their reading and writing skills.
Math continues to focus on building a strong number sense through a variety of games, activities, and manipulatives including, but not limited to, mastering:
- the fundamentals of addition and subtraction
- addition facts up to 12 and from 12
- count to 120 by 1’s, 5’s, and 10’s? To 20 by 2’s
- the use of a graph
- how to identify and extend a 3 or 4 part pattern
- how to use measurement and tell time to the hour and half hour
- how to identify geometric shapes and their properties
- how to identify and understand value of the penny, nickel, and dime,
- and count like coins to one dollar
Science units are supported through the field experience program to allow students to authentically apply new found knowledge about plant and animal life cycles, the study of habitats,and health and nutrition, among others.
Kindergarten students begin and end each class moving and grooving along with upbeat songs. They are introduced to colors, numbers, days of the week, family members, and parts of the body. Important Hispanic celebrations, such as “Los Días de los Muertos” and “Las Posadas” are also discussed. New vocabulary is reinforced through singing, dancing, reading, playing games, and coloring in class.